Monday, April 4, 2011

Taming My Templeton!

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Cor. 12:9
E.B. White’s Charlotte’s Web is a family fave. Our copy is dog-eared and ragged. Last month, our home school group went to see a dramatic production at Junior Theatre. I thought my guys would enjoy the beautiful, benevolent Charlotte. They didn’t.
They adored Templeton.
My boys were enthralled by the selfish, self-serving, selfishly ambitious Templeton. The “I only care about myself”, twitchy-nosed, round-bellied Templeton.
In fact, they loved him so much that we have a new phrase at our house. It’s called “Pulling a Templeton”. We use it when someone is caring a little- too- much about himself and a little- too- little about others. Like when someone beats someone else to the swing. Or won’t help a brother build a Lego castle.
“Are you pulling a Templeton?” I’ll ask. And the boy at the other end of the question will usually smile.
Well, today I woke up and pulled a Templeton. I didn’t want to serve. Didn’t want to teach. Didn’t want to juggle the children and the phone and the laundry and the meals and the errands and the activities and the hurts and the hungries and the behaviors, commitments, and needs. I wanted to run away with a book.  Or sit by the river. Or throw a water bottle in the basket of my bike and ride like crazy.
Me, me. Me, me. Me. Me. Me.
The worst part was I didn’t want to feel that way. And I didn’t really need to. I’d had three “Mom’s Nights” in just a few days. But it was what it was. And no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t pull out of the funk.
Not by myself.
On a morning like that, all I knew to do was pray. To ask the Lord to bend my will. To stand, looking heavenward, and ask for an outpouring of the Spirit – that it would fall fresh on my hands and heart, my day and my life. A filling that would spill over to my dear husband, home, and boys. An empowerment that would be beyond my own capabilities and strengths.
Help me, Lord. Come near today.
Please, please tame my Templeton!


Note: The illustrations remain under copyright and appear here for so long as no objection is received from any rights holders. You might consider buying the classic book for your family. Here is a link: Charlotte's Web

1 comment:

  1. I love Charlotte! And Fern. And Wilbur. I guess we all have a little part of all of them in us at times.

    ReplyDelete