Monday, February 8, 2016

I Love You Because...


I saw the idea on Facebook. The idea of writing love notes, one for each day of the month, to the one ones we love.
 
It’s February.

Almost Valentine’s Day.

The day that warms winter with expressions of love.
 

 
 
 
 
 
I sit at the pool, camped on a top bleacher, while my sons swim. There are paper hearts splayed across my lap. I'd cut them from construction paper and stuffed them into a Ziploc bag. Some hearts are big. Some are small. All are irregular because I'm not good with details and I'm not patient enough to trace.
 
They’re all blank. Waiting for words.

Five sons and a husband.

I love you because…
 

 

Emotion comes fast. I see my little one and the way he makes us lighter, green eyes shining, joy bubbling from his soul. I love you because bring laughter. I think of another son teaching his brothers about the strength in gentleness. I love you because you reach those around you. Another boy comes to mind -  how he thinks and builds and creates. I love you because you help with the work of your hands. Another son’s warm, easy hugs are frequent and firm, even now when his arms are lanky-long. I love you because you’re not afraid of affection. I think of a son and how he strives to overcome. I love you because you push when life pulls and you know to persevere. And my husband. He lives silent servanthood. I love you because you give.

I smile while I scribble.

Affirming others, building and encouraging and speaking love, is salve for one’s soul.

And as paper hearts rest on my lap and the air is thick and the rhythm of the pool is loud, my mind shifts from thoughts of my family to thoughts of the Lord. My Spirit swells. I love Him because He loved me first. Because He gave me life. Because He saved me and promised heaven and brought blessing on earth. But today, the one that is strongest on my spirit, the one that's my pulse and my breath and my reason for peace...

 I love you, Lord, because You'll never leave.

The Lord is present in every circumstance. He is present in the blessing and the goodness. He's present in the trouble and trauma. He's with me when tears flow from joy and gratitude or grief. He's ever-present with an abundance of mercy and compassion that He's offered as a grace-gift...to me. 

And the promise of His Presence brings peace.

I sit for a bit, the power of His love changing me again, renewing me, bringing refreshment and thanksgiving and tenderness. But it isn’t long before a son emerges from the pool. He climbs the stairs, leaving footprints, water dripping, white-blond hair in short, wet spikes. He reaches the top, slings his backpack over his shoulder, and treks town the stairs toward the locker room.

But midway down he stops.
 
Turns around.
 
Climbs back up.

“I love you, Mom,” he says.

And he smiles. 

Then he’s gone again.

Love.

 His Presence is everything.

I love you, Lord, because…



But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring your remembrance all that I have said to you. John 14:26 ESV

5 comments:

  1. I love you because you're not afraid to share your feelings, your joys and sorrows, and by doing this, I can read and find my own joy. Thank you, my dear friend. I am in awe of your talent. Happy Valentine's Day! Love you, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you because you're not afraid to share your heart and feelings, your sorrows and your joys. And by doing so, you give me joy, too. I love your talent! Happy Valentine's Day, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! And I love you for the same reasons! Cant wait to see you soon. I love you too...

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, this just tugs my heart, Shawnelle. So much love and Truth.

    Thank you! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie, for the love and encouragement. I love you too... Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete