Monday, July 8, 2013

Returning Rubber Ball

The boys have a rubber ball. It's small like a baseball. It's bubblegum pink. It's the super bouncy kind. The kind that shoots off like wild, rebounds off of everything, and should only be let loose outside.

But the ball turns up everywhere I look.

It was under the desk in the dining room. I could see it when I walked by. I whisked it out with a broom and put it in the toy basket near the front door.

Next day it was in my bedroom. I noticed its out-of-place pinkness under my brown wing back chair.

I tossed it with the blocks in the schoolroom.

Then it was on the sun porch. Jumbled with shoes that were under the swing.

I got tired of chasing the rubber ball so I threw it in the kitchen trash.

And this morning?

Resurrected.

It was at the bottom of our long, winding stairs.

This pink rubber ball has more return than a homing pigeon. So when I found it near the stairs, I palmed it. I headed out the door to toss it in the barrel by the garage.

But something stopped me in my tracks.

I've had some tough relational situations lately. I've messed up. I've lost control. But I've been bruised and broken and tossed around a bit, too.

The only solace I have is His Word. And in times of trouble it has returned to me.

Sometimes it's a verse that brings a gentle correction. I can take that.  Sometimes there's comfort and promise and grace. I'm all about that, too.

But always, always, there's the truth and the faithfulness of the Lord.

When times are tough, I want to stand on what I know is true.

I want His Word to apply to the situations in my life.

And want it to come to me fast and faithful.

So I turned around and I took that ridiculous pink ball back into the house. I put in on the shelf in the bedroom. I don't know what the deal with this strange ball is. I don't know why it seems to be everywhere I look.

But it's a quirky reminder.

Read His Word. Know His Word. Put it in my head and let it trickle  into my heart.

And His truth will be around every corner.

Even more steadfast than the returning rubber ball.


I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11

2 comments:

  1. Your posts always give me chills, make me smile, and make me take a pause and think. I have been struggling so much with prayer lately. After all that has happened in our lives, I wonder, Why should I? He doesn't care about us anyway. But something always draws me back. Maybe it's looking at any one of my boys, especially our surprise youngest. Or maybe it's a really good time we all shared. Or maybe it's a tragedy that has befallen someone else that makes me remember that God doesn't purposely hurt us. I have to think that for some reason He brought me to you because you always help remind me what is important.

    Oh, and the ball . . .we have things like that, too, at our house. I keep "getting rid" of them, and they keep mysteriously returning. ;) Perfect analogy!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy - I read your words then lost internet connection. So you have stayed on my mind.
    I am so grateful that the Lord connected us - as we encourage one another. It's a blessing for me - such goodness there.
    I always appreciate your honesty - the way you can be transparent with your feelings. That is precious.
    I cannot imagine what you have gone through. There is just no way. But I'm so grateful for those moments - those quiet, sweet times of drawing. That is a dear thing.
    I'll continue to pray for you - I think we're connected at a heart level. I find you there often.
    Sending hugs to you, precious lady( and I'm glad we're not the only ones with weird toy things...:)

    ReplyDelete