Monday, June 17, 2013

Words Fitly Spoken


A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver. Proverbs 25:11

 
           “The bathroom walls look great,” I said to my friend Sarah.“Please tell Matt thanks.”

Sarah smiled. My husband Lonny and I had recently hired her husband to do some drywall work in our family bathroom. 

“Lonny usually doesn’t want to hire work out,” I said. “He’s a perfectionist and most of the time, when he hires someone, he’s not satisfied. But the walls are beautiful,” I said. “Awesomeness.”

Sarah took a sip of her warm tea. “That’s pretty much my husband,” she  said. Then she gently placed her mug on the table. “All the way around. Awesomeness.” Her warm, brown eyes reflected her heart.

I wrapped my hands around my own mug and thought for a moment. It was so good, so sweet, to hear my friend affirm her husband. To declare his goodness. To celebrate his workmanship and character and a job well done.

I thought about my own husband. There are many things that he does well, too. Caring for the needs of our five sons. Maintaining the upkeep of our century-and-a-half-year-old-home. Working hard at his job. Encouraging my writing or jumping in, even after a long day at the chemical plant, when I’m needing help on the home front.

And hearing my friend verbally celebrate her man made me want to celebrate my man, too.

Later that night, after Sarah left, after the coffee mugs had been washed and dried, and after a bevy of boys had been tucked into bed, I wrapped my arms around Lonny as he worked over his laptop at the dining room table.

“I think you’re wonderful,” I whispered into his ear.

“What do you want?” He smiled and I kissed his warm neck.

“Not a thing,” I said. “I have everything I want right here.”

 
Father, thank you for the opportunity to share kind, encouraging, uplifting words. Remind me to encourage my husband regularly. Amen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  An Announcement and Invitation:

Local friends,

I'm excited to share that Rick Hamlin, executive editor of Guideposts magazine and author of 10 Prayers You Can't Live Without, will be sharing the morning message at my church, Wildwood Baptist, on Sunday, June 23rd. Services are at 9:00 and 10:30. Please come join us. You'll surely be inspired!

Rick's website: http://www.rickhamlin.com/
Wildwood's website: http://www.wildwoodchurch.com/

Hope to see you!
Shawnelle

No comments:

Post a Comment